CDC COVID-19  Protocols enforced:
Covering face, physical distancing, wearing gloves, sanitizing wipes etc.

Please reserve your space by calling
SEMARA VE Session Team Leader:
Fred, N1TF @ 508-748-0047
or email:  exams [at] semara [dot] org

A Volunteer Examiner (VE) is a licensed radio amateur holding a General Class license or higher who offers their time to administer the FCC licensing exam.  SEMARA is accredited in the ARRL Volunteer Examiner Coordinator (VEC) Program and offers exam sessions.  These exam sessions are referred to as “VE Sessions” and are open to the public for any person who would like to become an amateur or upgrade their current license class.

SEMARA’s VE Team Leader is Frederic S. Bacon, III, N1TF.  His contact information is at the top of this page.  Although walk-ins are welcome, we recommend that you contact Fred ahead of time if you plan to attend an upcoming session.  VE Sessions are held at the SEMARA Clubhouse, 54 Donald Street, Dartmouth, Massachusetts on the first Saturday of even months at 10:30 AM.  See below for more detailed information.


Repeat — primary contact for information:

SEMARA VE Team Leader
Frederic S. Bacon, III, N1TF
exams [at] semara [dot] org

Meet our team:

Pictured left to right, top to bottom:

Martin F. Jordan, KA1YFV
William E. Gifford, W1HA
Bradford E. Paiva(SK),  W1BEP
Raymond A. Arruda, KB1EVX
Frederic S. Bacon, III, N1TF – Team Leader

Upcoming VE Sessions

10:30 AM on the first Saturday of even months
August 1, 2020–CDC COVID-19  Protocols enforced
October 3, 2020
December 5, 2020
February 6, 2021
April 3, 2021
June 5, 2021
August 7, 2021
October 2, 2021
December 4, 2021

Exam session location:

54 Donald Street
Dartmouth, MA 02748

What To Bring

When attending a VE Session, the person taking the exam should remember to bring:

CDC COVID-19  Protocols enforced:
Covering face, physical distancing, wearing gloves, sanitizing wipes etc.

1. One government issued Photo ID, or two non-photo IDs (one with address).

Note: If bringing non-photo IDs, two from the following list are acceptable:
– Non-photo ID or drivers license (some states still have them)
– Birth certificate
– Social security card
– Library card
– Utility bill
– Bank statement or other business correspondence
– Postmarked envelope with current mailing address
– School ID (student only)
– Report card (student only)
– Work permit (minor only)

2. Original or photocopy of FCC issued license (if licensed).

3. Original and/or photocopy of all Certificates of Successful Completion of Examination (CSCE) you are claiming (if applicable).

4. Two number two pencils with erasers and a pen.

5. Optional calculator*.

6. Optional slide rule and/or logarithmic table(s)*.

7. The 20120 ARRL/VEC exam session fee of $15.00.

8. Your FCC Federal Registration Number (FRN) or Taxpayer ID Number (TIN).

* Only stand-alone calculators with their memory erased and formulas cleared are acceptable.  Only logarithmic tables free of notes and formulas are acceptable.  You may not bring any written notes or calculations.  Cell phones and all other electronic devices must be silenced or turned off and out of sight during the exam session.

Your TIN is typically your Social Security Number (SSN).  You may preregister with the FCC Universal Licensing System (ULS) and get an FRN to use instead of using your TIN/SSN on the application.  The required NCVEC Form 605 is provided for you at the VE Session and may only be submitted for you by a VE.

Additional Resources

Additional reading provided by the ARRL: