A Volunteer Examiner (VE) is a licensed radio amateur holding a General Class license or higher who offers their time to administer the FCC licensing exam. SEMARA is accredited in the ARRL Volunteer Examiner Coordinator (VEC) Program and offers exam sessions. These exam sessions are referred to as “VE Sessions” and are open to the public for any person who would like to become an amateur or upgrade their current license class.
SEMARA’s VE Team Leader is Frederic S. Bacon, III, N1TF. He can be reached at 508-748-0047 or exams [at] semara [dot] org. Although walk-ins are welcome, we recommend that you contact Fred ahead of time if you plan to attend an upcoming session. VE Sessions are held at the SEMARA Clubhouse, 54 Donald Street, Dartmouth, Massachusetts on the first Saturday of even months at 10:30 AM. See below for more detailed information.
The SEMARA VE Team
Primary contact for information:
SEMARA VE Team Leader
Frederic S. Bacon, III, N1TF
exams [at] semara [dot] org
Meet our team:
Pictured left to right, top to bottom:
Upcoming VE Sessions
10:30 AM on the first Saturday of even months:
February 3, 2018
April 7, 2018
June 2, 2018
August 4, 2018
***September 8, 2018: extra session, second Saturday
October 6, 2018
December 1, 2018
Exam session location:
What To Bring
When attending a VE Session, the person taking the exam should remember to bring:
1. One government issued Photo ID, or two non-photo IDs (one with address).
Note: If bringing non-photo IDs, two from the following list are acceptable:
– Non-photo ID or drivers license (some states still have them)
– Birth certificate
– Social security card
– Library card
– Utility bill
– Bank statement or other business correspondence
– Postmarked envelope with current mailing address
– School ID (student only)
– Report card (student only)
– Work permit (minor only)
2. Original or photocopy of FCC issued license (if licensed).
3. Original and/or photocopy of all Certificates of Successful Completion of Examination (CSCE) you are claiming (if applicable).
4. Two number two pencils with erasers and a pen.
5. Optional calculator*.
6. Optional slide rule and/or logarithmic table(s)*.
7. The 2018 ARRL/VEC exam session fee of $15.00.
8. Your FCC Federal Registration Number (FRN) or Taxpayer ID Number (TIN)†.
* Only stand-alone calculators with their memory erased and formulas cleared are acceptable. Only logarithmic tables free of notes and formulas are acceptable. You may not bring any written notes or calculations. Cell phones and all other electronic devices must be silenced or turned off and out of sight during the exam session.
† Your TIN is typically your Social Security Number (SSN). You may preregister with the FCC Universal Licensing System (ULS) and get an FRN to use instead of using your TIN/SSN on the application. The required NCVEC Form 605 is provided for you at the VE Session and may only be submitted for you by a VE.
Additional reading provided by the ARRL: