Regretfully, the 2007 SEMARA Tailgate has been canceled. Due to an oil spill on the property, much of the real estate is unavailable due to temporary storage of contaminated soil and a safe zone that needs to be maintained around the excavation site. The membership feels that it is too risky to invite guests under the current circumstances.
Please remember us next year as we hope to have this unfortunate event behind us.
Questions? flea [at] semara [dot] org.
An oil spill on or about July 19, 2007 results in costly damage at SEMARA. See the SEMARA Photo Gallery.
The deadline for the August edition of Zero Beat is right around the corner. Please contribute photos, stories, how you got started in the hobby, etc. Perhaps a short story regarding a project you are working on, a new radio or antenna or report on an event you attended recently. Contact our Zero Beat editor, Bob, K1KVV today!
Mark your calendars for Tailgate 2007 now. Sunday, September 9th.
On Thursday, July 19, 2007 in the late afternoon, the 147.000 repeater will be switched to its internal controller while maintenance is preformed. The repeater will temporarily have no courtesy tone or access to IRLP or EchoLink. Local QSOs may commence; just be aware that the courtesy tone will be absent. Normal operation will be restored no later than Friday, July 20, 2007 late night.
This is being done in order to replace the VoIP computer which supplies the repeater with IRLP and EchoLink. The repeater controller interface is also being modified to allow the alarm panel from the club house to be connected.
The nominating committee is recruiting candidates for the following elected positions:
Club Secretary – Remainder of 2007 term
Trustee – Remainder of 2010 term
If you are interested in running for either position (or both), please contact Tim Smith, N1TI for consideration by the nominating committee.
The Cushcraft R5 vertical that recently came down during high winds had been stored in the locked fence surrounding the 80′ log periodic antenna tower. As of Sunday, July 15 it was noticed missing. If a club member moved it somewhere on the grounds for storage, or took it mistakenly for parts or scrap, please contact any member of the Technical Committee. Just a reminder, that any club property, regardless of it’s condition, has to be approved by either the BOD or the club membership depending on it’s value before it can be removed from club property.
The remaining all-band vertical was removed from the hut by Dave, W1DJG with Tim, N1TI providing ground support. After inspecting the antenna following the removal, the technical committee determined that extensive refurbishing will be required. The 75 meter resonator mount was rusted through and two of the capacity hat elements came off. All inductor joints will need cleaning and reworking. A recommendation to the BOD was made that when the club is ready to install a new vertical, that we seek an alternative solution. The BOD will make it’s recommendations at the next club meeting regarding the sale or auction of the vertical to an interested member.
It was determined at the June 7, 2007 SEMARA Business Meeting that a voted taken at the May Business Meeting on the subject of New Building Guidance was deemed invalid by concerned members. The Board of Directors supported this determination and agreed to send out an informational mailing regarding the pros and cons of going with Building Option A or Building Option B. Details for both options will be forthcoming on the website soon.
A general mailing to the membership will provide the details.
It was decided that due to the holiday week and anticipated low turnout that the Building vote be delayed until the August Business Meeting.
Members attending the regular business meeting listened to the pros and cons of two building expansion options presented by the New Building Committee Chairman, Dave Dean – W1JGV as well as several members weighing in on the discussion. After nearly a one hour discussion the membership voted for “Option B”, a plan to proceed with developing a plan to add to the existing structure and to make necessary repairs to the existing structure. “Option A” promoted the razing of the existing structure and starting fresh with an open floor plan metal structure . This meeting did not authorize spending at this time but merely defined the path that SEMARA takes. PROGRESS! Special thanks go to the new building committee for taking the bull by the horns and moving the agenda forward.